Archive for the FrontPage Category

We Need News Contributors!!!

We want all the great posts being shared on facebook to be posted here…. Would you like to be a contributor??? Go to the forums and look for ‘We Need News Contributors!!!’ and find out how to join the online staff here at OCCUPY Wilmington NC.

G.A. Notes 6/30/12

Attendance:
  • Peter
  • Shelby
  • Nikita
  • Jerome
  • Keenen
  • Alle – (Occupy Cleveland)
  • Star
Announcements:

Attended wave Hearing- Peter, Keenen, Jerome

Star news wrote an article, they are not cutting out Sunday service, possibly charging a fee for free trolly service. Board member Mr. Barfield not voting for cutting out Sunday service.

Federal Election Committee- Keenen , Ethan

Executive Order on publicly financed elections – President has no jurisdiction – Dream Act was due to ICE

Old Business/New Business:

Potluck was a success . July’s Potluck will be Hotdogs, Baked Beans, Chips Soda’s.

Talked about fund raisers…possible 50/50 Lottery …Bake Sale….Raffle

Alle brought up points on Action Movements…ex.-Occupy Congress Human chain of hearts- (make a wish) ..could possibly do Human chain across Riverfront, College Rd, Market St, Military Cutoff Rd…We need more Recognition, and recruitment, passing out flyers as an option maybe downtown on street corners – 3 points in teams of 2-3 people, Bus Stops, Walmart, The Shopping Mall…etc.

I personally would like to see a radical action taken..I would be willing to stand up, be arrested for it..I strongly believe that we need to do something of epic proportion

(Just a personal thought)

No G.A. Wednesday due to 4th July Holiday

adjourned.

GA Notes 06-16-2012

G.A. Meeting

By Desire Powell-Willey in OCCUPY WILMINGTON NC · Edit Doc · Delete

Attendance:

 
Star
Keenen
Jerome
Peter
Ron
Nikita
Sheree
Shelby
Dick

Announcements:

 

Homeless woman Betty died @ Greenfield Lake Park of natural causes, she attended our Potluck last month.
 
Citizens united- Keenen public fiance elections universal voter registration.
 
Wave Transit- protest date change due to correct info. Protest event scheduled for Tues. June 19th 5:30pm – 7:30pm @ city hall- regular scheduled city council meeting. Ron & Jerome to possible speak at mtg.
 
Ballpark- Asked if Included Homeless in survey- got a laugh people not considered taxpayers by majority persons surveyed.
 
Potluck- Need to decide by Wednsday June 20th- change to a Spaghetti dinner to include Spaghetti/veg. Spaghetti, Garlic Bread, and possible Salad. (Nikita to change event)
 
Statewide GA- Keenen spoke w/people from Charlotte between now & National convention. ( NC Coal. ) Approx. 5 people on National news- amazing /solid in media liaisons.
 
Occupy media from Charlotte/Asheville speak to Wilm. press reach out to Occupy Ashville. Use as information. Occupynconline.org
 
Questions? How much is housing, when can we book? July- August , Room availability,cost, location, How many rooms Avail. the max per room and min., cost per person, toilets, rules, std rules, policies, bedding, what is avail in each room,Dorm room, Lobby area. Reach out to other occupies.
 
Invite speakers- Topic would be ALEC . hopes/permit Riverfront Park- presentation for ALEC
 

CFCC for back up -possible weather cond. pending. Plan is to use ALEC to draw in ties to Corporate Personhood/City council- Petition- DO NOT OVER EXTEND OURSELVES
 

Sheree- house in foreclosure, as well as rental house in foreclosure w/2 yr rental contract
 

 

Old Business:

 

Voter Advocating, Rolling over to next GA Mtg. Occupy Wallstreet – 90% of all had voted in past elections. 80% plan to vote in the Political Process. Wallstreet has been using in media -
 

People who are outside mainstream -don’t count. Occupy Wallstreet- does not endorse candidates.
 

Amendment 1- Encourage people to vote and repeal Amendment 1
 

Key is to know the issues, the voting process, getting a consensus of the voting process.
 

Potluck- Announce voter registration at potluck, possible door to door petition.
 

Nikita call restaurants for food donations.
 

New Business:

 

Working on Voter registration @ potluck
 

Possible doing a door to door petition for Corporate personhood (approve as written) Schedule & heard within 60 days after presented.
 

Board of Elections-

———————-

Printed names

Signed names

registered address of voter

Wilmington city resident

 

Adjourn

G.A. Meeting 6/13/12

G.A. Meeting 6/13/12

By Nikita Najawati in OCCUPY WILMINGTON NC DISCUSSION GROUP

Attendance:

Ron
Peter
Shelby
Keenen
Nikita
Jerome

Announcements:

Peter met with UNCW they do have rooms avail.
However It has been decided that OWNC will not be hosting the statewide GA.
Charlotte/ Ashville Occupy’s main concern was having a 7 1/2 – 8 hr drive.
It would require a 2 night stay.

Keenen went to Charlotte, Greensboro, Winston Salem for Occupy

June 21st in Charlotte there will be a media coverage and press release in response to May 9th BOA protest in Charlotte. Apparently BOA is greenwashing the event proclaiming to still be the #1 financier in the country.

Steve Barker, Tony Indage (forgive the misspelling) would be a good person to talk to about the Beach Erosion.

Wave Transit hearing is actually a budget proposal scheduled at the regular City Council meeting on June 19th NOT on the 26th. It is scheduled for 6:30pm at city hall as normally scheduled. Our proposal is to do a Protest from 5:30pm to 7:30 pm. DVS is on board, but they have to watch their support due to federal funding.

Waiting for a call back from Interfaith.

Reports:

Outreach – pass on information regarding Protest

Nikita post event for Wave protest

Old Business:

  • Jerome talked to Delthea about coming back, she will come back when she is able to.
  • Potluck …trying to get people to sign up and organize the event (Keenen wont be there)
  • Denny’s Birthday is the night of the potluck on June 23rd 9pm at the Juggling Gypsy
  • July 13 – Jerome 26th Birthday
  • Wave Transit Protest
New Business:

Peter – Question:

Are we as Occupy people to vote in November or not ??? Consensus of this GA meeting was voted Yes – that we should encourage people to get out there and Vote in November for the elections , but not to support a particular Party or candidate.- which goes back to Voter Suppression. This will be voted on again at the next GA Meeting on June 16th @ Greenfield Lake Park.

(Wall Street is giving money to both parties)

It should not overshadow what we stand for. Our Objective is to counteract Wall Street.

  • Homeless
  • Foreclosures (Civil Rights)
  • Voter Supression

*Adjourn*

GA Notes 06-09-2012

Attendance

Sheree
Ron
Shelby
Nikita
Jerome

Announcements

Post poned the Mtg with Jason Rosen from Central Labor. They will meet next week.

Jerome court Monday-Needs more time to pay fees- $200

TR was here at the Park from 11-3 for Pride Mtg.

Sun 6/10312 Pride walk downtown meeting @ OldBaileys Theatre from 3-5 Start Walk @5pm

Occupy – The Drag @ The Toolbox on Burnett St. TBA

Reports

no money spent

Old Business

Kitchen set-up sign up Sheet for monthly Pot-Luck : Nikita
(Posted in both Discussion and regular Group pages as well as OWNC Encamp.Kitchen)

Nikita is getting information about the Wave Hearing @City hall and (will post all information Mon-Tues.) also Is setting up a Protest event for Wave Transit Hearing

New Business

6/26/12 Wave Transit hearing at City Hall from 8-5pm

Nikita to set-up Event And Info. – Jerome to be facilitator at the event

Ron will work on Inviting Black Churches to attend and Participate, Nikita is contacting Domestic Violence Shelter, Interfaith, Salvation Army. Also Nikita to set-up event and Poss. Email List.

Ron is Looking into Purchasing for OWNC Occupy stickers with the OWNC Logo on them to use for Events, PotLuck, Etc. So they can double as a name tag as well.

(Prestige Labels-Burgaw)

Outreach

to Homeless shelters

Wave Transit Hearing- Ron to talk to Linda Pierce

*Adjourn*