Posts tagged IT

GA notes 11/11/11

Keenen facilitated, Brian took notes.
Committee reports:Legal-a list of important numbers has been posted on the forum (i.e. city numbers, bail bondsmen).

IT- we have WIFI for the livestream!!!
Financial-the new Financial plan is postedon the forum and facebook.  Financial will bring committee needs to the GA for approval.  We also discussed the need to establish our own not-for-profit status.

Arrest discussion- until we have access to the current funds we have raised, everyone will be responsibile for their own bond payment.

Medical-If you have medical/medication needs and are arrested let the medical committee know beforehand->Julie Santos.

Old business-Working groups communication flowchart is posted on facebook.

New business-IT purchased WIFI card for livestream and made a motion that $40 is needed for monthly web hosting (passed). Motion that $59 is needed to pay for the WIFI device (passed).  Motion that $50 is needed for this current first time use of prepaid wireless and then be revisited to explore other options (passed). $75 was collected and will be reimbursed to IT.
Encampment-If we are run off from City Hall we will reassemble at Centinial Park at 5th and Chestnut. (passed).  We will also try to delay the actual camp setup until after the GA on Saturday.
Kitchen/Encampment-We have bagels, cream cheese and coffee!  Add any other supplies to the list on the forum.

We had a stack of flyers to be posted.  Get the word out!
Tonight was the Vigil.

Proposal for IT

 

Proposal for IT

Why? Because the website is a direct reflection of the organization of the group itself. It cannot be arrested, moved, cancelled or rained out on. It’s the perfect base for when things get sticky.

Plan: I have organized the “post categories” into working groups. My only question is weather or not we keep the forum. If we have both the word press rolling blog, and the forum on the wordpress rolling blog, its like we are duplicating information, along with efforts.

     I know that because people couldn’t wrap there heads around word press being a forum, we made a forum.

But now that’s really really confusing for people.

Because where do you post your comment? The website? Or the forum? 2 different conversations are going on within  the same working group, and efforts are lost or duplicated EX- me making a forum, and then Angie making a better forum, and then wondering why we made a forum in the first place.

 So I’d like to remove the forum, now that the website has more organization for discussion. and then people will be more motivated to contribute if they know there ideas and energy wont be wasted.

And this doesn’t get anymore confusing than it already is.

GA Notes 10-25-11

Facilitator: Denny
[Don't know who Stack was - sorry!]

We followed the format that worked so well last time, limiting announcements to 5 minutes each, committee reports to 10 and the stack items to varying lengths of time. And this time the meeting sped along even faster than last night, getting us through the planned stack items 22 minutes early.

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Joe expressed the desire that we show support and solidarity to the Oakland encampment, where campers had to deal with flash grenades and rubber bullets from the police. Over 70 were arrested, some just for trying to retrieve their personal possessions. The area looked like a tornado had gone through it after the police left.

Roberta announced that there was a petition on the Facebook page to express disapproval of the actions of those cities which were moving out protestors like Oakland.

A student attending asked if we would be interested in affiliating with the on-campus Amnesty International group. Their ability to prevent jail mistreatment was noted – something that might be useful to our group.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Anyone interested in helping Denny and the De-Escalation Committee out at the Thursday Protest should be there 15 minutes early to meet with them in advance.

The meeting between attorney Deborah Butler and three Occupy representatives, two from the legal committee, will take place Thursday at 9:00 a.m. Others have been invited on FaceBook to pass along any questons they may have for the attorney.

Financial – it looks like SEAC will be probably be willing to let us run our accounting under their umbrella, but report from Molly is still pending.

STACK:

Thursday Merrill-Lynch Protest.
-The event will be held this Thursday from 4 to 7. Denny has the picketing permit from the 900 to the 1300 block (covering the area in front of both shopping centers, where financial institutions are located) but he’s still waiting on the noise permit. He expects to have it in time.
-The event is formally in front of Merrill Lynch but if there are enough people, some can break off to picket in front of the adjacent financial institutions.
– A desire for a more specific statement of the location/reason for the strike on the website was expressed.
– A sign-making workshop is still planned for tonight at 8:30. Because Denny couldn’t attend, he said he would pass along hsi old signs.

The Community Service Project at Sunset Elementary
– This was canceled because of questions over permitting.
– It was suggested that no one should represent themselves as speaking for Occupy without authorization Roberta opined that this was something that the group couldn’t easily prevent someone from doing.
– Roberta stated that the GA Monday should accept responsibility for the permit confusion for not taking the permit/safety issues raised seriously enough and checking them out.

Encampment
– Kate again reported on the desirability of the City Hall site. Concern about water/plumbing access was raised for times when the courthouse and Thalian Hall might be closed. The Library is an option, as are friendly local businesses.
– Denny is still trying to get a meeting with someone responsible at Parks and Rec.
– Mary Kate reminded us that anyone with outstanding warrants probably did not want to put themselves in a position to be arrested.
– Joe stressed the need to get your camping supplies together now for when we find an encampment, including 1-2 man tents (a larger tent – 4 man – could be used as a meical tent), sleeping bags, etc. Have a change of clothes packed in the bottom of your clothes.
– The desire for a sign up list to see how many people would actually be camping was expressed. It was requested that IT put one up on the site.
– A gentleman who had attended the Raleigh Occupy group asked if we had articulated any goals which had to be met before we would end our encampment. He was told that we did not have such a list at this point and that this consideration was probably quite a ways down the road
– The desire for a compilation of questions about the encampment, with answers from the Encampment Committee, was expressed.
- It was noted that there were some basic rules for the encampment, including no drugs, no alcohol, no weapons and respect for others.
– It was proposed that at some point a 90-minute encampment workshop be held in lieu of one of the weeknight General Assemblies.

Parenthetically it was noted that we should stop having IT do so much content, that we get better about entering our own.

It was stated that the committees should be meeting together regularly as their failure to do so was adding unnecessary discussion to the GA’s.

Roberta reported that Rhonda Bellamy was hosting Don Ansell’s show, “Byline” and she wanted someone from OWNC for an interview. The show is on ILM (a CBS affiliate). [I have some confusion over the date – I originally took it down as Sunday but later it transpired that the call for the interview was for tomorrow. As we have so far had white men speaking for the movement in front of the media, it was felt that it might be a good idea to have a woman or a person of colour speak. Mary Kate volunteered to go along with her.

Committee Mergers – this issue was revisited from the last meeting. It was proposed and accepted that Logistics and Encampment Committees be merged. It was moved and agreed upon that the Social Networking and Media Committees merge but that IT stay on its own because it was not a committee that could freely enlist help from other areas due to the specialized knowledge required.

The matter of the discussion of the Community Service Project discussion on Facebook was revisited. Roberta expressed the opinion that we should avoid minutiae and personal criticism and disrespect of others on the Facebook page. As a person making such comments, I asked for an opinion on the appropriateness of withdrawing them – something about which I was uncertain. Joe brought up the freedom of speech issue and applying it to the point that we should not employ censorship. Opinions on the role of FaceBook were given – from junkdrawer to business card. It was stated that others should be treated with respect.

That concluded the planned portion of the meeting but we were left with 22 minutes. Mary Kate requested opinions from the membership on what the broader Occupy movement was about, beyond banks, so she felt better prepared for her appearance on Rhonda Bellamy’s show. Opinions were shared. Joe described the impossibility of ordinary people achieving justice when the system was controlled by the very rich and large corporations. Will said that it was about how, although we did not have a voice in government, when we came together to occupy, the lost voice of the American people was audible again. Concern was expressed about the concentration of wealth creating a new feudal world. Joe talked about how the extremity of our need for change was causing ordinary people to do extraordinary things. Many good opinions were expressed which I did not write down because I got so caught up in listening to them. Someone wondered abou catching segments like this on videotape.

GA Notes – 10-15-11

Facilitator – Delthea

Stack – Ted – eventually

Committee Reports:

People are needed on all committees.  A sign up list will be put up on the occupywilmingtonnc.org website, or people can come to a General Assembly and contact people in the committee they would like to join.  We should also ascertain strengths and preferences of new members to see what committees they might want to be involved in.  Angie will do an edit to get a table of contents so all the working committees are more visible on the website.

IT Committee – They are moving many of the dialogue/discussion capabilities of FaceBook over to the www.occupywilmingtonnc.org website.  There will be thumbs up/thumbs down options for comments.  There will be a QuickStar guide on how to post articles in the Documents section.  PUSH THE WEBSITE!!!  Put the URL on your signs, on your email signature, in your posts.  We want people to start to migrate over from FaceBook to a site we have more control over.  We are in need of member-created articles.  You can even write one and post it anonymously.  Creative submissions, such as poetry, are also welcome if they pertain to the movement.  The site can accommodate PDF files, sound files, pictures, etc.  Tumblr has been added – articles, posts and links can be added.  Use OWNC.

Social Media Committee – Tweeting encouraged using hashtags like ILM, NC, OWNC, OWS.  Tweetpix encouraged.  Adam is tweeting personally as OWNC1.  IT is planning on running a twitterfeed box on the side of the website.  It was noted that this would require 24/7 moderation – it was stated that this could be done.

Here we sort of transitioned to other matters.

Outreach Committee – we are all to do outreach.  The Unitarian Universalist Social Concerns Committee has issued support for OWS so we should make touch with them.  They have been a good site for holding workshops and speeches.  Delthea goes to this church – she would have to put use of their facilities up before their social action commitee.  Other places in town for workshops might be 4th and Castle or the Juggling Gypsy.  Outreach flyers is an emphasis at this point.

It was stated that we need to have a line-up of upcoming events.  Everyone wants to know what the next event will be when they come to or stumble across one of our events.  We should be ready at each event with something to give people about the next one.

We had over 200 people at one time or another during the Bank of America event.  For an organization only one week old, that was an amazing accomplishment.  We shouldn’t be too hard on us for things we forgot to do this time.  Delthea channeling Paine:  “We are not the sunshine patriots, we are the winter soldiers.”  [December 23, 1776:  These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.]  Attendees gave their opinions on the event:  good vibes, fantastic, we did damn good, loved the drums and callbacks, the kids loved it, great positive energy.  All the drummers were recruited from Juggling Gypsy, which can provide fire spinners if we do a night-time event.  A gentleman named Bill Messer was at the event interviewing people and will make his videos available for viewing.

A “rush hour” event in the middle of next week was proposed and sites were discussed, including the B of A across from the college (question of actual space available again discussed).  Going on campus was discussed but we can only do so in association with the UNCW group but as of 48 hours ago, that was still not formally recognized by the University.  The Military Cutoff Merrill Lynch/BofA “Bankers Rowe” location was mentioned but ultimately the favored location was the intersection of Collge-and-Oleander was favored.  It was proposed and accepted that we will do the rush hour event next week.  A permit will be obtained for from 2-6.   People can do shifts during the longer period.  There is parking at an adjacent shopping center and one member who works at the corner CVS will see if they will allow parking. It was suggested that radio and TV stations be contacted.

There could be a location committee to scout out locations for future events.  Perhaps this will be part of the Logistics teams area.  It was again emphasized that all the groups need volunteers, that about 4 people are carrying most of the burden of organization. 

One member mentioned that we might have a good response if we gave out flyers at the Social Security Office or the Employment Security Commission

Alicia, a newer member, mentioned that new people needed som sort of orientation/introduction.  A handout was suggested.  Also use of the first 15 minutes before the meeting officially starts as sort of a meet and greet – this was voted on and carried.  A couple of attendees volunteered to be part of an unofficial welcoming committee.  Name-tags were suggested but support was less than enthusiastic.

The topic of future event sites was revisited with a more thorough consideration of a future strolling demonstration at the Military Cutoff Merrill Lynch location.  Shifting demonstrations to different areas will enable us to reach different types of traffic.  Concern was voiced that we needed to have bigger numbers for that location because more resistance might be expected.  There will be minimal interaction at College and Oleander.  At the BofA today, Occupiers were able to talk to bank customers when they came out on the public sidewalk after their banking, but did not approach them when they were going in and out of the lobby.  We have a banner but it is not yet printed – will try to get it ready for College and Oleander.  Denny can pull a bunch of permits at once – we don’t have to use them all.

Interfacing with the UNCW group was again mentioned, as was their need for flyers.  Angie from IT told them there was a downloadable printable flyer on the website.

There was again a discussion of the need for talking points.  [We seem to cover this for new members at just about every meeting - there is a document with talking point suggestions on Facebook and we have agreed to use the demands of the OWS as the source of more talking points for those who need help in that area.  For shorter talking points, there is a page of signs and slogans on the occupywilmingtonnc website]

IT indicated that each committee needs an email contact.

Ron is looking for his megaphone to donate to the group.

Ted announced that Nov 4-6 there will be a weekend-long fundraiser for OWS with workshops (about a dozen) and bands.   This will be the same weekend as the Keystone Pipeline Shutdown event so some students might not be able to make it.

Joan really liked the use of corporate flags – Jim said he got them through Adbusters for $25 each and said he would pick up a couple of extra.

Denny indicated that peacekeeping at the B of A was mostly de-escalating the mutual attraction of two dogs but he will need more team members as the meetings and events get larger.  Ron, Joe and Sean volunteered.  It was suggested that new members be alerted to any past problems.  The question of calling the Peace Team the De-escalation Team came up. 

New attendee Kathy cautioned that we should be careful not to dismiss any group of people as prospective members.

——End —–